Solicitor’s Liability in Will Drafting: Taking Proper Care and Good Practice Steps
Discussion points include:
• In what circumstances will a solicitor (or other will-drafter) be liable for failing to take proper care in will-drafting?
• Are there other areas of liability beyond the drafting itself?
• To whom will the solicitor be liable?
• Good practice steps to take to avoid liability
• How can the solicitor limit liability?
• Are there any steps which can be taken to remedy the failure to properly draft the will?
• What circumstances will a solicitor be able to obtain a statutory will or rectification of a badly-drafted will?
• Are there other areas in which solicitors are criticised in the manner of their drafting, even if they don’t constitute negligence?